Eutectics In the News
Cuyahoga County Council agrees to buy locally generated wind and solar power
Cuyahoga County will enter into a contract with Cleveland Public Power (CPP) to supply energy to 17 County-owned buildings. Included in the contract is an agreement to enter into respective power purchase agreements for both solar and offshore wind energy for approximately 23% of the electricity consumed by the 17 buildings. The Lake Erie Energy Development Corporation (LEEDCo) will own the offshore wind project; Cleveland Urban Renewable Power (CURP) will own the solar project, expected to be developed on a brownfield site. CPP’s traditional energy mix will account for the remaining power.
Through the Cuyahoga Clean Energy Financing Hub, Eutectics worked as an owner representative for the County’s Department of Sustainability to analyze and recommend favorable terms for the project. Eutectics conservatively estimates that the deal will save the County $3,761,125 over 25 years. The proposed legislation was unanimously approved by County Council and will also be a strong source of economic development and job creation.
November 15, 2016 – cleveland.com. By Peter Krouse
The economics of solar and energy efficiency remain as strong today as they did before Election Day. Even rumored major tax reform cannot roll back the strong value proposition for clean energy. Solar projects continue to “pencil-out” for business owners, public buildings, affordable housing properties and individual homes. LED lighting will continue to be a “no-brainer,” with a solid return on investment.
November 16, 2016 – Midwest Energy News. By Jeremy Kalin. http://midwestenergynews.com/2016/11/16/commentary-clean-energy-still-trumps-partisan-politics/
The University of Minnesota’s Twin Cities campus will purchase two megawatts of community solar garden subscriptions from Minneapolis-based Geronimo Energy, LLC. The U hired Eutectics to assist in assessing risk and determining financial feasibility of purchasing solar electricity through various mechanisms, including community solar and on-site solar installations. The U will be releasing a request for proposals later this month for on-site solar across four campuses.
October 19, 2016 – Minneapolis, MN. U News. http://twin-cities.umn.edu/news-events/u-m-buys-community-solar-subscription
Through the Clean Energy Savings for All Initiative, the Administration will work to ensure that every household has options to choose to go solar and put in place additional measures to promote energy efficiency… DOE is Announcing a Community and Workforce Investment Program in Baltimore, Maryland: Today, DOE’s Job Strategy Council launched a community and workforce investment program to both create new employment opportunities and train low income residents in West Baltimore for jobs in the solar industry. DOE’s Initiative will explore options to expand access to solar for renters and local individuals in the Baltimore area, investigate the possibility of installing solar panels on public housing units, and in collaboration with the Morgan Community Mile Solar Installation Project, a partnership with Morgan State University, Baltimore’s Sustainability Office, GRID Alternatives, Civic Works and the local communities, weatherize and install solar panels on 33 low income homes in the Morgan Community Mile neighborhood of Baltimore. Today, DOE, the City of Baltimore and the Maryland Clean Energy Center signed a Memorandum of Understanding intended to accelerate the growth of and access to solar and renewable energy jobs and to prepare a roadmap for rapid demonstration and deployment.
Obama Administration Announces Clean Energy Savings for All Americans Initiative July 19, 2016 – The White House https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2016/07/19/fact-sheet-obama-administration-announces-clean-energy-savings-all
Reps. Sarbanes and Cummings, U.S. Department of Energy and Maryland Clean Energy Center Announce New Solar Partnership with the City of Baltimore
This project will help reduce home energy bills, boost Baltimore’s clean energy capacity and provide energy industry job training for unemployed and underemployed community members. “This innovative partnership will help solve both these problems for Baltimore residents. It will give families access to solar technology to save them money on their energy bills, and it will also support job training for our neighbors who want to become solar installation technicians,” Congressman Cummings said.
July 19, 2016 – Baltimore, MD. Media contact: Daniel Jacobs https://sarbanes.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/reps-sarbanes-and-cummings-us-department-of-energy-and-maryland-clean
A consortium of area partners have launched the Chisago Area Clean Energy Hub to help area residents, businesses and institutions implement solar and energy saving projects. A central component of the nationally-recognized Chisago Lakes Area America’s Best Communities (ABC) plan, the Chisago Area Clean Energy Hub goal is projected to spur $40,000,000 in community-based project investment in solar and energy efficiency improvements and to reach 100 percent locally-generated renewable electricity by 2025.
June 16, 2016 – Chisago County. Press Release http://www.chisagocountypress.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=21995&SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&S=1
A Minnesota community was recently named one of the eight finalists in the America’s Best Communities competition in part due to a focus on renewable energy. “We saw the idea of the energy hub as a great addition for our businesses because it can help them with their bottom lines by lowering their energy costs and attract new businesses to clean energy,” said Nancy Hoffmann, executive director of the Chisago County Economic Development Authority.
June 8, 2016 – Chisago Lakes Area. By Frank Jossi http://midwestenergynews.com/2016/06/08/minnesota-communitys-energy-focus-gives-it-edge-in-national-competition/
Working with Morris, Minn. city leaders and the university’s Center for Small Towns, Eutectics developed the Morris Model Clean Energy Hub and set an ambitious goal of powering 100 percent of the city with renewable energy within a decade. It’s a model [Eutectics has] been hired to apply to three distinct and vastly different environments.
May 24, 2016 – Morris, MN, Chisago County, MN Cuyahoga County, OH. By Frank Jossi. http://midwestenergynews.com/2016/05/24/minnesota-firm-has-a-new-approach-to-clean-energy-financing/
We will look at how creative and innovative financing structures and tools that exist today can ensure that the long-term resilience and energy-efficiency measures in a design are not stripped out because of budget costs and cost controls.
May 3, 2016 – Minneapolis, MN. By Frank Jossi http://finance-commerce.com/2016/05/sustainable-the-business-case-for-going-green/
The city of Morris and the University of Minnesota, Morris are working together to develop renewable energy in Morris. The city was able to upgrade lighting at 12 municipal facilities, parking lots and city-owned streetlights to more energy efficient LED lights — one of the first visible steps in developing the Morris Model Clean Energy Hub.
April 30, 2016 – Morris, MN. By Karisa Lehmann http://www.morrissuntribune.com/news/4021631-morris-looks-bright-future-local-clean-energy-projects
The [Chisago Lakes Area] already earned $50,000 when they were selected last April as a top 50 community on the basis of an application centered on needs in the areas of arts, culture and tourism; broadband access; economic development focused on school-business career links, a clean energy hub and a technology center; and quality of life improvements such as improved walkability and bike trail connections.
Jan 14, 2016 – Chisago, MN. By Steve Brandt http://www.startribune.com/chisago-county-communities-seek-hefty-revitalization-prize/365172181/
- Cuyahoga County launches program that would raise up to $120 million for energy efficiency building upgrades April 20, 2015 – Cuyahoga County, OH. By Andrew J. Tobias http://www.cleveland.com/cuyahoga-county/index.ssf/2015/04/cuyahoga_county_launches_program_that_would_raise_up_to_120_million_for_energy_efficiency_building_u.html
- Climate change heats up need for local action: editorial May 20, 2015 – Cuyahoga County, OH. By Cleveland.com Editorial Board http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/05/climate_change_heats_up_need_f.html
- Fresh Energy and Aeon to collaborate on community solar and affordable housing June 12, 2015 – St. Paul, MN. By Ben Passer http://fresh-energy.org/2015/06/fresh-energy-and-aeon-to-collaborate-on-community-solar-and-affordable-housing/
- Financing hub can help make clean energy deals happen in Ohio November 21, 2015 – Cuyahoga County, OH. By Kathiann M. Kowalski http://midwestenergynews.com/2015/10/21/financing-hub-can-help-make-clean-energy-deals-happen-in-ohio/
2014 – 2010
- Sustainable: ‘SolarNote’ aims to reduce complexity in financing February 3, 2014 – Minneapolis, MN. By Frank Jossi http://finance-commerce.com/2014/02/sustainable-solarnote-aims-to-reduce-complexity-in-financing/#ixzz45iltQ1u8
- PACE creating efficiency opportunities in Minnesota July 17, 2014 – Minneapolis, MN. By Karen Uhlenhuth http://midwestenergynews.com/2014/07/17/pace-creating-efficiency-opportunities-in-minnesota/
- Energy finance adviser helps businesses go green October 24, 2014 – Minneapolis, MN. By Neal St. Anthony http://www.startribune.com/energy-finance-adviser-helps-businesses-go-green/280357652/
- Salut implements LED lighting and energy efficiency upgrades using Edina’s PACE Program December 7, 2012 – Minneapolis, MN. Press Release http://www.cleanenergyresourceteams.org/blog/salut-implements-led-lighting-and-energy-efficiency-upgrades-using-edinas-pace-program
- Editorial: In state House, opt for pragmatists (Kalin, “one of the Legislature’s rising stars”) October 26, 2010 – Chisago County, MN. Editorial http://www.startribune.com/editorial-in-state-house-opt-for-pragmatists/105812863/